Saturday, September 13, 2008

Marzipan


It is getting near halloween and I need to start early to insure that I am entirely prepared for the Halloween season. I have been on a hunt for cute Halloween Recipes. I was looking in the Country Living magazine when I came across this picture.
The stems are made out of Marzipan which is a confection consisting primarily of sugar and Almond meal.

I also found a recipe for marzipan on Pickypalate:

Marzipan

8 ounces almond paste

2 cups icing sugar
3 to 5 tablespoons light corn syrup

1.To make the marzipan combine the almond paste and 1 cup of the icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with the paddle attachment on low speed until sugar is almost absorbed.


2.Add the remaining 1 cup of sugar and mix until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.

3.Add half the corn syrup, then continue mixing until a bit of the marzipan holds together when squeezed, adding additional corn syrup a little at a time, as necessary: the marzipan in the bowl will still appear crumbly.

4.Transfer the marzipan to a work surface and knead until smooth.



Soo.... I went on a hunt for Marzipan, or Almond Paste. I went the Bosch store, they didn't have it. They told me it would be at a grocery store. Well... I couldn't find it at Maceys that night either.

The next day Hailie and I went to Maceys, Unfortunately I forgot my wallet at home friday. So Hailie got some marzipan and almond paste.

Andrew: What are you going to use this for?

Hailie:" I don't know, Mandy pressured me into buying it, I told her I would come back later but she said, "no just get it now".

Well, little did I know, Marzipan is awesome.

We have, a Marzipan Monster


Marzipan Pigs

Even, this Marzipan Baby.


Honestly, I don't think I would want to eat the Marzipan baby after hours of molding and shaping it. Plus, it has hair. So, I don't think that I am going to make something that advanced. But, I am going to make the awesome pumpkins cakes with marzipan stems. That's more on my level.

1 comment:

michael. mindy. dane. said...

This is nuts. You're going to need to bring me one of those treats. and i do not believe that you made that baby.